Sunday, October 9, 2011

End of a Long Summer

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you've probably noticed that this summer has been rough for us.  We've had a lot of big things going on: my mom's move and letting go of the family farm; potty training, regression and bladder infections; almost relocating across the state and a myriad of other little things that when piled on top of all the rest threatened to become that final straw.

It often felt like we were just surviving, getting through this weekend or that event, only to be bombarded with another batch of commitments or problems immediately after. I'm not saying many of these events weren't incredibly special (my nephew's wedding, my mom's birthday, the family 5k) (we're not talking about potty training here.) And we learned a lot.

We got to see my family many times.  My kids, who once clung to us at family gatherings, now recognize their aunts, uncles and cousins.  They talk to them and play with them. (There are frequent discussions about whether a certain cousin is all of theirs or just my son's. They haven't really figured that out.)

From debating the move, we know what would be worth changing jobs and what wouldn't - financially, socially and spiritually.

Potty training. Sigh. I can't talk about that except to say: you might get them to sit on the potty (after twenty minutes of negotiations), but you can't make them pee there (even if you load them up with juice and they sit on the potty for an hour.) They will pee somewhere else, like in their toy room, in the middle of the toys they just dumped out of the toy box. There are probably more profound lessons in this experience, but I am not ready to formulate them (other than the Little One will be training herself.)

So we are looking for time to regroup now. And time to breathe. And time to ask the question: where are we now and how can we live this life better?

No comments:

Post a Comment

So glad to have you here! If you have problems leaving a comment, I would still love to hear from you. Please email me at joselynvaughn@gmail.com.