Saturday, September 3, 2011

Sweet Saturday Samples

From CEOs Don't Cry:


“Not much.  I’ll pick up a replacement pipe at the hardware tomorrow morning and then I’ll finish the repair.” He leaned against the door frame.  “I’ll have the mess cleaned up by tomorrow afternoon. Where are you staying?”
Leslie reached in her purse for the crumpled Internet directions. “The Lilac Bower on Oak Street.  It was the only listing I could find with long term rentals.  I hope it’s not a dive.”
“My aunt, Minnie, owns it.  I guess you can’t avoid her.” He shoved his hands in his pockets. “The rooms are nice.  You won’t have to worry about that.”
“Oh.” Leslie felt her face flush with heat. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to imply--”
Mark shook his head. “No worries.  It’s exactly as the name sounds.”  He coughed. “Purple.”
Leslie’s lips twitched and her gaze locked with Mark’s.  Merriment filled his eyes and Leslie felt something strange happen inside her. She started to laugh.  At the sound of Mark’s low chuckle, Leslie’s heart froze.  Her fingers released the faxed papers and they scattered to the floor.
“Let me get those.”  Mark knelt and shuffled the papers together.   Leslie’s gaze followed his hands.  His fingers were scuffed and a purple bruise marred his thumb nail. A shiver traveled down her spine at the thought he’d smashed it with a hammer.
“Thanks.”  She snatched the papers from him and hurried toward the door. “I’ll see you tomorrow,” she said while whipping her scarf around her neck and throwing her jacket over her arm.
“Hey, if Minnie invites you to the library, don’t go,” he called after her as the door bells jangled.

Look for CEOs Don't Cry at your local library or on Amazon.  For more about Minnie and the Lilac Bower, you'll have to wait for Hauntings of the Heart. Have a great weekend. 

Check out the other Sweet Saturday Samples.

6 comments:

  1. Now why shouldn't she go to the library? Of course I want to know more:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a challenge! If someone tells you not to go somewhere, it makes you want to go, just to find out what's there.

    Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does she know him from somewhere? She didn't seem to like his laugh. Great sample!

    Here's mine: http://diannehartsocksalex.wordpress.com/sweet-sample-saturday/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading this on vacation right now, and loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Leslie and Mark--so nice to hear from them.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have you here! If you have problems leaving a comment, I would still love to hear from you. Please email me at joselynvaughn@gmail.com.