Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Family 5k

A couple weeks ago, my family participated in a 5k.  We all wore matching shirts - that my sister and I put together, a process that went surprisingly smoothly. (She had an iron to put the design on the shirts and I designed the logo on Photoshop. It took longer to print the designs than to put them on the shirts.) The shirt design process also resulted in several emails going back and forth regarding the design, etc.  For some reason, I don't hit the R key on the keyboard very hard and quite often in the email drafts, 'shirt' was missing its R. Hopefully I was able to catch all these before the messages were sent. :-)

The race itself was a blast.  The weather was perfect.  Usually whenever I sign up for a race it rains.  It didn't.  Two of my brothers hadn't run a race in at least a decade and they participated.  Those who couldn't run walked.  My husband ran and pushed the twins in the jogging stroller.  My sisters-in-law pushed the little one.  My niece pushed her dog in a stroller.

I ran and had a fabulous race, running more than two minutes faster that I hoped to.  At the start, I thought I might be able to keep up with two of my nephews, but they took off so quickly at the start that I didn't have a chance.  I settled into my own pace, but felt like my legs were exhausted.  They didn't seem to have any spring.  The course doubled back after the first mile and I got so cheer on family members as I met them.  As I approached the second mile, another runner asked what my goal time was.  When I told him, he told me I was having a really good day.  I didn't believe him because the time I thought I had at the first mile was much worse than I hoped for. I assumed he meant I was really close to that goal time.  Until I saw the finish line clock.  WOW.  It was a really good day.

My mom and aunt were at the finish line cheering everyone as they finished.

The kids ran in the fun run or I should say my son ran and we carried the girls.  My daughter wanted to hold my hand but run next to her brother who was holding my other hand.  I couldn't move with my arms all twisted up, so I ended up carrying  her.

But everyone had a blast and we hope to make it an annual tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So glad to have you here! If you have problems leaving a comment, I would still love to hear from you. Please email me at joselynvaughn@gmail.com.