Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Great Noodle Mystery

One of the things I can cook reasonably well is macaroni and cheese.  It comes in a box.  There are instructions. It's pretty hard to screw it up.

The mystery is that whenever I pour the water off the noodles and through the strainer I end up with noodles in the sink.  Now I've been perplexed how the noodles have managed to squeeze through the holes in the strainer and land in the sink unscathed.  This happens with every type of pasta:  spaghetti, macaroni, rotini... okay, it doesn't happen with lasagna noodles, but you get the idea.

My theory has been that the force of the hot water and the malleability of the noodles pushed them through the holes.

Wrong!

I discovered that I am tipping the strainer as I pour the noodles and water through it. The water doesn't flow straight through the bottom of the strainer, but pools and spills the macaroni out under the pan where I can't see it.

So we don't have magic noodles that can miraculously squeeze through our strainer.

2 comments:

  1. I have the same problem! I was thinking maybe the were magic macaroni who knew their end was near;)

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have you here! If you have problems leaving a comment, I would still love to hear from you. Please email me at joselynvaughn@gmail.com.