Wednesday, June 29, 2011

"It'd hold eight kids 'n' four hound dogs and a piggy we stole from the shed"

One of my favorite activities when I was little was to put the John Denver 8-track in my mother's ginormous stereo and dance around the living room. By dance, I mean gallop around the living room, twirl occasionally and jump off the couch. Any type of actual choreographed movement and me are not friends.  The grapevine is the closest I can come to line dancing and only if we are going much slower than any song beat.

My favorite songs were "Grandma's Feather Bed" and "Thank God, I'm a Country Boy." I figured the later was appropriate because I grew up on a farm and my brother was a boy, so that was close enough.

This morning my daughter, who knows more dance steps than I ever will thanks to Angelina Ballerina, donned her church sandals and wanted some music so she could dance. Usually at this request, I plug in a Sandra Boynton collection. (If you haven't heard these, you must check them out. My especial favorites are Philadelphia Chickens and Dog Train) All the kids love the Uninvited Loud Precision Band.  Dancing to their music involves marching around the house and yelling 'We're on parade!' frequently and with much enthusiasm.

But today I chose John Denver.  She and the Little One pranced around the living room, waving their arms and doing 'ballet.' I would guess there wasn't any actual rhythm or beat or musicality to their movements, but they were having a blast.

If only their interest had lasted until they got to "Country Boy," then they would actually be sleeping during naptime.

What were your favorite dance songs when you were little?

No comments:

Post a Comment

So glad to have you here! If you have problems leaving a comment, I would still love to hear from you. Please email me at joselynvaughn@gmail.com.