Friday, March 11, 2011

Fridays off the Wall with Rebekah Purdy

Today, Rebekah Purdy, fellow Astraea Press author, is joining us for Fridays off the Wall. Her young adult novel, My Dad is a Paranormal Investigator: Seeking Shapeshifters, was released in February. 

      Who would you cast as the main characters in a movie of your latest book? Oh my gosh! I love this question (LOL). I actually spend a lot of time finding actors/actresses who match what I picture my characters look like. So here’s my short list:
Ima Berry: Britt Robertson
Carsen Shinew: Booboo Stewart
Talon Yutu: Alex Meraz
Matt: Ian Somerhalder
Ferren Shinew: Victoria Justice
Lou Berry: Steve Zahn
Brady: Sterling Knight

    I can see Ian as Matt.  If your main character could invite anyone to dinner (fictional or otherwise), who would it be? She’d probably invite Taylor Lautner over. Not only is he a great actor, but he’s got some mad fighting skills! And well, his abs don’t hurt either.

     I've heard Taylor's local.  Maybe you could work something out. :-)  Do you have any characters who keep bugging you for their own book? Will you give them one? YES! That would be Matt. And let me say for the record, you’ll be seeing more of him in the next two My Dad’s a Paranormal Investigator books. Lots of fun stuff in store for him.
      
I thought Matt was very interesting.  I can't wait to read a story about him. What one thing would make your writing space perfect? I’d love it if it could be more secluded. When we build our new house (in a couple of years), I’m already trying to con my hubby into putting in a secret passage that leads to a private office. Think Scooby-Doo hidden rooms (LOL). Ultimately, I’d like to have it overlook a lake or pond or something. But we’ll see.

    A secret passage would be so much fun.  Who knows what lurks at the end of the tunnel?  LOL. When the power goes out, what do you do? (Cell phone service is out too.) I like to pull out flashlights/light candles and read. But I also have notebooks for my stories, so I’d likely be jotting down notes for whatever I’m working on at the time. There’s something kind of fun about hanging out without all the distractions.

More about My Dad is a Paranormal Investigator: Seeking Shapeshifters
Blurb:  Sixteen year old Ima Berry (pronounced I’m a) leads anything but a normal life. For starters, the ridiculous name her eccentric dad gave her is always the opening for a good joke. Not to mention the fact he makes his living as a supernatural investigator, which has them moving around every few months. It’s hard to hang out with new friends when she spends all her time trying to prove the existence of Bigfoot, ghosts, fairies and any other number of paranormal creatures. Unfortunately, the cases always end in disaster. That is until now.
On a whim, Ima’s father decides to move them to Point Hope, Alaska. Here, he plans to investigate the possibility of shifters amongst the Inuit tribes. Ima isn’t thrilled with the move, until she meets an Inuit guy named Carsen. Not only is he hot, but he’s also a star basketball player, and he’s interested in her. Too bad his best friend, Talon, doesn’t like her and takes every opportunity he can to discourage the relationship. Ima has no idea what she’s done to make him mad, but there’s no denying the strange connection between them.
As things grow more serious with Carsen, Ima uncovers a secret about him and some of the residents of Point Hope. A secret that will force her to choose between her father’s already dwindling career and her new found love. And with the knowledge of this secret comes danger…a danger that could cost them their lives.

Buy Links:

You can get in touch with Rebekah and learn more about her books here:

If you are an author who would like to participate in Friday Off the Wall, please email me at joselynvaughn @gmail.com (no spaces).

Have a great weekend.

10 comments:

  1. Awesome interview you two! Congrats:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Investigating shape shifters? What a strange career. I bet this book has some great humor..how could it not with a name like Ima? Great interview. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait for Matt's story!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim,
    Thanks for stopping by to say hey!

    JQ,
    Thanks you so much for coming by and for the well wishes. Lots of funny stuff in the book!

    Traci,
    Aw, thanks lady. Hopefully I'll start writing it soon...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait for Matt's story either. Get busy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know you loved Taylor, Rebekah! Shock! *snicker* :)
    Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joselyn,
    Thanks so much for having me! The questions were fun...and once I finish edits/revisions on another story, I'll likely dive into the next "My Dad's".

    Jenn,
    LOL--I know, my avatar on YAFF doesn't give it away or anything. And I may or may not have mentioned a few times that he's cute (no those aren't posters of him hanging up in my office at work--or are they?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview! And You can't have Ian - he's already starring in my project! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent interview! OMG Rebekah, I LOVE seeing your cast 'o characters. Excellent job, you really nailed Ima and Lou for me! Especially Lou. I love Steve Zahn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vanessa,
    OMG, like all of us are constantly fighting for Ian. But he's SO fight worthy (hehehe).

    Min,
    LOL, I LOVE Steve Zahn too! I just thought he's the right about nerdy/sweet looking. Sigh. Thanks ladies for dropping in, you're the best!

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have you here! If you have problems leaving a comment, I would still love to hear from you. Please email me at joselynvaughn@gmail.com.