Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Getting in Shape

As probably 95% of Americans resolve, I want to get into better shape this year.

I want to be able to run like I used to thirteen years ago and thirty pounds ago.  Realistically I can't train the way I did then, but I can make a goal of losing the weight and that will make it easier.

I also have an added incentive.  Everyone is my family has been a runner at one time or more in their lives, except my oldest sister.  She was born with a hole in her heart and encouraged no to do a lot of physical activity.  One doctor even told my parents he wouldn't do anything for her because she was going to die.  Needless to say, my parents packed her up immediately and went to another hospital.

After fifty years, her condition had come to a point where the hole needed to be fixed.  Since that was done, she has been feeling so energized and her doctor has given her the green light to run.  She has been logging enough miles on her treadmill to put the rest of us to shame.

We hope this spring that all my sisters and as much of my family as we can coerce will be able to do a 5k together.

How's that for an incentive to get in shape?

2 comments:

  1. Wow! If you don't do it kind of makes you a wimp doesn't it! Get going. Work that treadmill to death! You don't want to be running outside in this mess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I did 7 miles Saturday and I'm pretty excited about that.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have you here! If you have problems leaving a comment, I would still love to hear from you. Please email me at joselynvaughn@gmail.com.